Week 5: What Did Jesus Accomplish on the Cross?
Main Idea: Jesus paid our penalty for sin by dying in our place for our sin, so that we could be one with God.
1. What is one thing you learned about Jesus’ death that you had never heard before?
2. Be a little vulnerable here…what is one sin issue in your life that Jesus too to the cross on your behalf?
3. What does the crucifixion of Jesus say about how seriously God takes sin?
4. How are the perfect love and perfect wrath of God both put on display through the cross?
Sometimes Christians become so familiar with the cross of Jesus that we treat it almost like a marketing slogan or a concept that we quickly pass through — “Jesus died for your sins,” — which is absolutely true, but it is imperative that we slow down and understand crucifixion in its historical context.
5. What if Jesus didn’t die on the cross? What changes?
1 Corinthians 15:3
1 Peter 3:18
1 John 2:2
2 Corinthians 5:21
1 John 4:10